1 week £784
2 weeks £1568
3 weeks £2352
Dahab, Ras Abu Galoum
in November 2022, our Sinai Coral Reef Conservation Project (SCRCP) will be the beginning of a new chapter for Coral Cay Conservation. The first phase of this project is to evaluate the status of the coral reefs in Ras Abu Galum National Park, which is an hour north of Dahab.
SCUBA-based diving surveys will be used to obtain quantitative biophysical and ecological data which will start the beginning of a crucial long-term monitoring project in Sinai. Long-term monitoring allows us to see trends and changes in coral reef health over time, helping us better understand the environmental impacts facing coral reefs in Ras Abu Galum.
The SCRCP data will be used to identify if/which parts of the reef are changing, and help inform policy and environmental protections for this vital habitat through the creation of MPAs and capacity building.
Coral Cay Conservation is an NGO. We are reliant on volunteer fees to keep us running. Without you, Coral Cay Conservation wouldn’t be able to do the critical work we do. We use volunteer fees to help pay for our survey equipment (cameras, transects, software etc), pay local dive staff and cover operational costs. We also use grants to help finance our monitoring project and charitable work.
The nature of working in a remote location, diving multiple times a day, working with local experts and conducting high-quality monitoring make overseas expeditions expensive. We have worked incredibly hard to make sure that the expedition fees are competitive, fair and most importantly affordable, without sacrificing the quality of the project or the scientific outputs. We have also done as much as we can to make sure there are no hidden costs.
Included in the expedition fee:
- In-country transfers (to and from the airport, and from Ras Abu Galoum to Dahab). If your flight arrives at a different time/day from the rest of the group, you may need to pay for a transfer.
- Breakfast and lunch in Dahab
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner in Ras Abu Galum.
- Scientific dives
- Science development program and pre-departure lectures
- PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water (If joining for the full 3-week expedition)
- BCD, Regulator and Fins ( we encourage volunteers to purchase their own mask, snorkel, wetsuit and computer)
- All in-country accommodation
- Park fees
Not included in the expedition fee:
- Personal insurance
- Evening meals and the occasional lunch in Dahab (this depends on logistics and dive times)
- If you’re joining us as an unqualified scuba diver, you have the option to join us for either 1, 2 or 3 weeks. If you already have your PADI Advanced Open Water then you can join us for a maximum of 2 weeks in Sinai. The first of the 3 expedition weeks is for unqualified divers to get their OW or AOW PADI qualifications. There will be no surveys in the first week, and we will be based in Dahab at SubSinai dive centre.
You will also have the opportunity to pay for additional fun dives with SubSinai on days off, and these can be organised in person on the day. We highly recommend visiting the infamous Blue Hole!
If you are interested in joining us and already have your Advanced Open Water but would like to do your Advanced Open Water then the first week will cost £480 rather than £783.